Monday, October 13, 2008

WE ARE CHRISTIAN!!

Last night, as Neil and I were watching T.V., we came across one of these religious programs that they have going all the time here. On this particular program, they were talking about the differences in religions, and whether they are Christian or not. They discussed Catholic, Protestant, and “Mormons,” among others. The guy that was giving his VERY BIASED opinions (and was Protestant himself), was extremely offensive and critical of ALL other religions. He went on to say that “Mormons” are NOT Christians. That really made me angry! We most certainly ARE CHRISTIAN!! Apparently he doesn’t have all the facts. It makes me so mad when people assume we are not Christian, when they don’t have the facts, but base their beliefs on rumors or inaccurate information. Just look at the name of our church, The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints. I don’t think he even knew that is the official name of our church, and that “Mormon” is just a nickname. Jesus Christ is the central focus of our worship. As the literal son of God, our Savior and Redeemer, we look to him as our only source of salvation, we strive to live his teachings and follow him. Some of my best friends and neighbors are not members of our church, and I would be very sad if they had false ideas about us because of inaccurate information that they have heard from others. (If any of you want to find out what we REALLY believe, click on the link above our family picture on our blog).

And it’s not as if I was born into the church, raised in the church, and have never given any thought to what I believe. My dad is Catholic (and now he and my step-mom and my family in California attend the Church of Christ), and my mom and Step-dad are “Mormon”. When my mom & dad were married, neither of them were active in their church. When they divorced, when I was 6 months old, my mom moved back to Utah and started to go to church again. When she remarried, when I was 6 years old, she married someone that was also a member of our church, but for years they were not active in the church (and neither was I). During my high school years, most of my friends were of other faiths. I wasn’t sure what I believed, if anything at all. I attended different churches, with my friends, and with my Dad & Step-mom, and didn’t really believe anything. Through the hardest time in my life, when I was really struggling with some very serious issues, and felt completely hopeless, I wasn’t even sure I believed in God at all. Finally, when I was in college, I started attending church again (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints—the “Mormon” church), praying, and reading the scriptures (The Bible and The Book of Mormon). I can tell you that I know this church is true, that Christ lives, and loves each of us, and is always there for us, and it brings me so much joy and peace in my life.

One of my very good friends, who lives in Colorado now, was going through the adoption process, with a Christian-based adoption agency. They filled out their profile, and had gone through some screenings and everything, and it was looking very promising. One of the criteria that the adoption agency required was that they be Christian. When they found out that my friend and her husband were “Mormon,” they denied them, because they said they weren’t Christian. She was heartbroken! I can’t believe that they would do that! They are such wonderful people and great parents to the children they already have! Again, the people at this agency were making false assumptions!

For the most part, people in this area are great and very open-minded. There are so many different people here from different places with different religions and beliefs. Everyone has the right to believe what they will, without criticism and cutting them down. We haven’t had any negative feelings or comments from others about our religion and I’m glad. Some of our very good friends (and one of Tessa’s best friends) that are Catholic, even came to Tessa’s baptism last year. That really meant a lot to us, and we were so glad they came. They are wonderful people and we are grateful to have them as friends.

Anyway…sorry for the long post. It’s just something that I feel very strongly about, and wish that people would find out the facts before judging others….

3 comments:

Julie Olson said...

I hate that too. Just direct them to http://jesuschrist.lds.org
It was actually designed to help people realize...WE ARE CHRISTIAN.

6Whittiers said...

Thank you Stacey. I definitely know where you are coming from. When we were renting before our house was finished we had some neighbor kids come over and they were in the kids room talking and they told my kids that because we were Mormon we were going to hell. Jaden was crazy and asked him where he heard that and he told him from his mom. So i guess its everywhere. I guess if I am going to hellit won't be so bad cause there will be alot of us. :) In all truth though that is why we are to have a voice, this is something I am really trying to work on- to educate others.

Sara M said...

Thanks for your testimony. It is like a light in the darkness. If we all light up soon everyone will see.