Saturday, May 3, 2008
Tornadoes and storms in Arkansas
I'm not sure if anyone has been watching the weather in our area, but we've had a LOT of rain over the past month or so, with flooding in the surrounding areas (although not right where we are), and some severe thunder storms and tornado warnings. We had a big storm early Friday morning, that caused power outages in many places. We were without power for about 4-1/2 hours. They had to divert traffic in some places because of large trees that fell over and power lines that that went down. It was a mess. I didn't realize how bad it was until I was driving around town later that morning. These pictures are just a couple streets over from us, on one of the main roads. I don't think a tornado even hit our area on Friday, just severe thunderstorms, however some tornados hit some of the surrounding areas and did a lot of damage and killed a few people. So scary! When we were looking for jobs (before Neil got hired with Wal-Mart), I always said I'd consider anywhere except Kansas or Oklahoma, because I'm scared to death of tornados, so it's kind of funny that we ended up in Arkansas, and have tornado warnings every spring. There hadn't been a tornado that actually hit our area directly for something like 50 years, until the first year we moved here. We had hail the size of softballs! It was crazy! Thank goodness, we were fine, and didn't even have any damage to our house. But there were a few subdivisions that got hit hard and houses that were completely destroyed. But nobody was killed from those tornadoes. But despite the crazy (and sometimes scary) weather here in Arkansas, we are still very glad to be here and feel so blessed. It's the best thing that could have happened to Neil's career and to our family. And there are so many possibilities for the future. 
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
I am so glad you are all okay. It is very scary to be in that weather that is unpredictable, especially tornadoes, they scare me to death. All the pictures we see it is horrifying what some people are going through. You keep staying safe!!
Hope you don't mind, I saw your comment on Alyssa's page and clicked on your name... Nice pictures of the storm. i didn't realize it was so bad either! Hope you guys are all feeling better.
Post a Comment