Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Big Storm

Well...the big snow storm hit. Apparently it's the biggest snow storm that this area has had in years. We shovelled SIX times yesterday, school was cancelled, and all the flights into Toronto were cancelled, so Neil got stuck in Quebec (he was there on a business trip). :( I'm SO ready for SPRING!!!

We were stuck at home all day on Friday, because the snow was so deep that it was above the bottom of our van, so I'm sure I would have gotten stuck! So much for our weekend plans... :( I was REALLY hoping that the snow plow would at least clear our street so I could take the kids to their swimming & music lessons on Saturday morning.

Well, Saturday morning I was happy to see that the snow plow cleared our street, but extremely frustrated & discouraged to find a huge wall of frozen snow packed at the end of our driveway (it was about 3 ft. high, 3 ft. wide, with another smaller pile behind that). Tessa & I went out around 7:15 a.m. to try to start chipping away at it, then I went & woke up PJ to come help us. I didn't know how we'd ever get it cleared. And after shoveling SIX times yesterday, I was ready to be done! The thought came to my mind that I wish I had "faith to move mountains", so I could magically make this stupid snow mountain disappear. I had to laugh. Then a few minutes later a neighbor that I've never met (a few houses down), came over with his snow blower & "moved our mountain" for us. I was SO grateful, I wanted to cry. I offered to pay him, but he refused. He said he was happy to help. Just one of those little blessings that I am VERY grateful for! :)

The kids played in the snow, made snow caves & tunnels, we made brownies, watched TV, played games, went to their music lessons, etc. Then they delivered their newspapers (they were also a day late because of the snow), and PJ went to shovel for a couple people in our ward, with the Young Men.

We were REALLY looking forward to having Neil home tonight. But I got another phone call from him saying that the flight was delayed again. Now it's looking like it will be VERY late when he gets home, IF he gets home tonight! Dumb winter weather! :(

No comments: