Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day weekend


We had a WONDERFUL (and very busy) Mother's Day weekend. It started out Friday night, with Neil and the boys all heading out to our church's "Father's & Son's Campout." They do it every year & have a blast. The boys love hanging out, playing games, roasting marshmellows, sleeping in a tent together, etc. And Tessa & I love it because we always have a great time together too! We went out to eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant, then when to Kohl's to look for some new sandals. Tessa & I both got some new ones (I figured Neil could wrap them up & give them to me for Mother's Day). :) Then we headed to the mall. We picked up the pictures of the kids that we had taken at JC Penny a week before, then just wandered around looking in various stores at clothes, dresses, earrings, etc. Tessa ended up buying some new earrings from Justice that are really cute. After we finished shopping, we headed back home. I gave Tessa a manicure & pedicure, then we enjoyed a movie, popcorn, and treats. It was a really fun night & I love spending time with my sweet Tessa!

The next morning, I woke up at 4 a.m., to the sound of thunder and lightning. There was a severe thunderstorm warning, and I wondered if Neil and the boys would pack things up & head home early. I decided that I probably wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so I got up & started to study & review for my Math Placement Test that I was going to be taking that morning at 9 a.m. at the college. After Tessa woke up, we had some breakfast & I called Neil to see how they were doing. He said that it started to get pretty stormy & they even had some hail, but it didn't last too long & died down after about 45 minutes. They left at about 6 a.m. and went out to breakfast at IHOP. They came home and all showered, then Neil took PJ to get together with some friends from school to work on a group project, and Jonah to a friend's birthday party, and I headed to the college to take my test.

It's been 20 years since my last math test, so I was pretty nervous. But I did okay (it could have been worse). I just got registered this morning for my first 2 classes for fall semester. I will have to take 2 semesters of math, instead of just one, but that's okay--it's not a race & I'll just take a couple classes at a time so that I still have plenty of time for my kiddos. With 4 kids and all their various activities, homework, projects, sports, music, etc. and just needing time with mom, that is still my top priority, so hopefully I can balance it all out.

Anyway, after I got home from taking my test, PJ got home from his group project, and Jonah got home from his birthday party, we did a few things around the house, then took Tessa to her riding lesson, followed by an early dinner out (for Mother's Day). After dinner, we headed to the Naturals Baseball game, where Tessa sang the National Anthem with her 5th grade choir. They did such a great job & sounded wonderful! We stayed for a couple of hours & then headed home (Jonah & Clay were EXHAUSTED after staying up so late on Friday night & again on Saturday night).

Sunday morning we got up, Neil headed to church for his early meetings, the kids & I had breakfast & and then left for church. The meetings were all great & very uplifting. And this year, instead of giving all the moms a flower, they gave us each a Hershey's chocolate bar (GREAT choice!) :)

After church, we all just relaxed & hung out, then Neil grilled some steak & chicken for dinner, and I opened all the sweet gifts from my kiddos & Neil. Tessa made a beautiful (and delicious) cake for me, Jonah gave me a poem he wrote and a coupon book that he made, Clay gave me a flower pot that he painted, that said "I love you! Love, Clay.", with a paper flower in it that had his face on it. And PJ gave me a boquet of wildflowers that he had picked. And Neil gave me a big bouquet of roses, a sweet card, some treats, a book, (and the sandals I bought). :) I had a GREAT Mother's Day and felt very loved and spoiled! I'm so grateful to be a mom! It's the greatest blessing in my life! I'm so grateful for my 4 wonderful kids and for such a great, supportive, loving, caring husband! I am so very blessed!

No comments: