Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Our 1st Snow Day 2011


Well, today was our first snow day of 2011. We figured it was going to happen, with all the weather reports predicting snow overnight. The school district always posts school closings by 5:45 a.m., so I got up to check, and sure enough, all the schools in our area were closed for today. We had a big snowstorm of ONE INCH!!! After 5 years of living here, we still have to laugh at how everything stops when there is even a little bit of snow. But they don't have the equipment to clear off all the roads and they get very icy, so to be cautious they close the schools.

Anyway, because we figured the schools would be closed, I told the kids they didn't need to set their alarms to get up in the morning. I said that I would check if the schools were closed & if they still had school, I'd come wake them up. Well, Jonah was up at 5:55, because he was "STARVING" as always. I told him that school was cancelled, but he could just go get some cereal or toast & I would stay in bed a little while longer. Well, at 6:05, PJ came in & said, "Mom, Jonah said that school was cancelled. Is that true?" I said, "Well, it's cancelled for the elementary & middle schools, but Jr. High & Highschool kids still have to go." PJ said (in a mix of panic, anger, and disbelief), "WHAT?! ARE YOU KIDDING?!!" I said, "No, It said that on the school website." PJ said, "ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!" By then, Neil & I just busted up laughing. I told him I was just joking & he had the day off. He was VERY relieved & happy! Ah, the joys of parenthood! Priceless! Hahahahaha! (And don't worry, PJ laughed about it too).

So, after the kiddos all got up, they had some breakfast, played on the Wii a little bit, got dressed, made their beds, etc., then headed out to play in the snow. They were so excited to get to play in what little snow there was. They made giant snow balls (there wasn't enough for an actual snowman), had snowball fights, made snow angels (Jonah said they were more like "grass angels", because the grass was showing through the snow), and just had a great time. After a little while, they came in for some hot cocoa & to warm up. After that, I put them to work, folding 4 baskets of laundry. They are great kids & helped out without (too much) complaint. Then we worked on a puzzle, played some games, had lunch, & then headed back outside to play in the snow some more. Then we made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, read books, played games, and painted. It was a great, relaxing, fun day! We love snow days! :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

We love em too!!!!! Hope more are coming our way!!!