Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back to school 2009



I am SO not ready for summer to be over! We had a lot going on during the summer, and ended up taking our trip so late, and then rushing to get ready for school as soon as we got back, that it just hasn't seemed very relaxing. I'm not ready for school to start up again. But, it has...so here we go...

The kids have been very excited to get back to school. I'm glad they enjoy school and like learning, and have fun with their friends. As the first day has grown closer & closer, they've become a little more nervous. Well, last night, Tessa was starting to get really stressed out, and Jonah was so excited he could hardly stand it. They both had a hard time going to sleep, and then Tessa woke up around 4:30, saying her stomach hurt & she felt like she was going to throw up. GREAT! I told her to go sit by the toilet for a few minutes & I got her a drink of water & a few saltine crackers. I told her that everything would be okay, and I thought it was just nerves. After a few minutes (and her snack), she went back to bed.

Then at 5:30, Jonah woke up, saying he was hungry & couldn't sleep (he was too excited). So, finally at 5:45, I figured there wan't any point in trying to get him to go back to bed. I got up with him & got him some breakfast, and Tessa came in right after that. She still didn't feel good, & was still feeling sick to her stomach. Poor girl. Changes like this stress her out every year. Shortly after that, PJ & Clay got up. PJ was excited, but a little nervous too--going to a new school & all. We still can't believe he's in Jr. High now!

Well, they all had some breakfast & I let Tessa just relax on the couch, hoping she'd get feeling better. In the mean time, I was feeling sick to my stomach too, because I had had a migrane since last night, and took some Excedrin at 4:30, when Tessa got up, and I think it made me feel sick. I was hoping that we didn't have the stomach flu on the first day of school, and it was just Tessa's nerves & my migrane! By the time we were ready to leave for school, we were both feeling a little better.

Jonah was excited & ready to go & didn't even want me to walk him to his class. He ran up ahead to his classroom & I had to find him to give him a hug & kiss goodbye. Then I walked Tessa to her classroom too. She found one of her friends & said goodbye. Then I headed back home with Clay & PJ to wait 45 minutes until I had to take PJ to school. The traffic wasn't too bad when I took Tessa & Jonah to school at 7:30, but by the time I took PJ to school at 8:15, the road to his Jr. High (which also happens to be right by another elementary school), was packed & just crawling. It took me 30 minutes to get to his school, when it normally takes about 7 minutes! GRRRRR!!

We missed PJ's Jr. High orientation while we were gone on our trip, so we just went in & got his locker when we got back. The Jr. High kids don't get their schedule until the first day. They all show up in the lunchroom, get their schedules, and then have to find their first class, and go from there. That just seems like it would be total chaos! But he said everything went fine, and he really likes most of his teachers, and has a few friends from past years in a couple of his classes too. However, the Jr. High & Highschool here start & end 45 minutes later than the elementary & middle schools, so I drop Tessa & Jonah off at school and then have 45 minutes before PJ has to be at school. It's kind of a pain schedule-wise & running back & forth from home to schools, etc. So, I thought I'd have PJ ride the bus. Well, the problem with that is that the bus system and schedule here is absolutely STUPID! It normally takes me about 7 minutes to drive to the Jr. High, but to ride the bus, he will have to catch the bus at 7:45, and school doesn't start until 8:45. And then after school, they get out at 3:45, and he won't be home until about 4:30. So frustrating!!! They have buses that pick up kids (of all ages), and drive them to one school, where they then have to change buses to get to the school they need to be at. SOOOO STUPID!! You would think that they could come up with a more effective system. Everywhere else we've lived has never had issues like this. It makes me angry every year! Oh, and the carpool line (for the kids whose parents drive them to & from school) isn't much better. You have to be in line about 30 minutes before school lets out, or you are all the way down the street & around the corner. Crazy!! So...I guess we will go with the lesser of 2 evils & send PJ on the bus. At least he'll get to socialize before & after school. Hopefully it works out. (And it's not because I have anything against kids riding buses--PJ rode one the whole time we lived in Utah, and we never had any problems with it--it's just a VERY unorganized system they have here).

Clay has his preschool open house tomorrow, where he'll get to meet his teacher & see his classroom, etc. He is SO excited & can hardly wait! I think he will absolutely LOVE it & have a great time. He will go on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 8:30-12:00. This is the same preschool that Jonah went to & we loved it. But today, I started thinking that next year, he'll be in kindergarten all day long (they only have all-day kindergarten here--which I HATE!!) It made me really sad to think my little buddy will be gone all day, every day. I just don't want to think about that!

Well, after school (and after waiting in LOTS more long frustrating lines), I asked the kids how their days went. Hmmm...just an okay day for all of them. Wasn't great, but wasn't terrible. Tessa & Jonah aren't thrilled about their teachers, but hopefully they'll all have a good year anyway. O-well... Maybe they'll just take some getting used to. They seem like good enough teachers, but are more strict & formal--not the sweet, kind, lovey, huggy type that Tessa & Jonah like. But I guess they'll adjust. I just hope they aren't the type of teacher that yells at & punishes the whole class because of a couple of problem kids. Our kids always mind very well, & it makes me mad when good kids get punished for other kids' actions. I guess we'll see how it all goes...

So, I was looking at our kids pictures last night--ones from the time they were born, up until now. WHERE HAVE MY BABIES GONE?! Holy Cow! I can't believe that PJ is already in 7th grade, and in just 2 more years, he'll be in highschool! WHAT?! And that Tessa & growing up so fast into such a beautiful young lady. And Jonah is so full of energy & such a smart little guy. And my sweet little Clay--my baby--is no longer a baby. He's getting SO big! It makes me sad. But, you can't keep them little forever, so I'll just hang on to them & enjoy all the moments I can, and try not to blink...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

What a cute first day of school picture! I totally agree about the whole bus scheduling thing in B-ville! This is the first year that I am having the boys ride home on the bus, I am still carpooling in the morning because I am too lazy to have them ready by 6:50 at the bus stop {especially when we are 2 minutes away from school}. The bus arrives here the same time that I normally get home from going through the car line.
What preschool is Clay going to?

Stacey said...

Jenn, Clay is going to Noah's Ark (at the 1st Baptist Church by the town square). That's where Jonah went & we LOVED it! Amy Gould has taken all of her kids there too. It's a great preschool. Are you doing preschool with Sam this year?