Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ewww...I hate public swimming pools!

Neil had today off, since the 4th of July is on a Saturday, so we decided to take the kids swimming at the local outdoor pool. I really hate going to public swimming pools, because of SO many reasons. After Neil started working for a health department years ago (his first job out of college), and one of his jobs was inspecting public swimming pools, along with restaurants & many other things, it really grossed me out. I wasn't sure I could ever swim in a public pool again (or eat in restaurants--but that's a whole other story!) But we have kids & kids love the water, and they HAVE to know how to swim, so...we go to the pool for them!

The day started off raining like crazy, but by noon, the sun came out and it was still very warm. So we all got our swim suits on before we left (I hate changing in the changing area--it's dark & stinky, wet & grimy--you wonder how many icky germs & diseases are lurking everywhere you touch!) This pool has a little kid area with a big fountain that's about 1 foot deep, and then a big pool, that has a roped off area that is about 3 feet deep and gradually gets deeper, and also a 3rd pool with a big slide & some diving boards.

Well, I took Clay to the kiddie pool, while Neil took the 3 older kids to the deeper pool. Jonah needs someone with him, but PJ & Tessa are good enough swimmers that they are okay if they stick together. So, I was sitting there with Clay, when Neil & the other kids came over. He said that someone threw up in the other pool, so they were cleaning it out. Eewwww!! We told the kids they couldn't swim in that pool anymore, even though other people were happily swimming just inches away, just past the floating rope divider--like THAT is going to help! That is just so gross! Well, I continued to watch the teenage lifeguards clean out the pool with the long-handled nets...and then proceed to dump it OVER THE FENCE...ON THE GRASS! Ewww! Ewww! Ewww!

So, as I'm sitting there watching the kids play in the kiddie pool, along with the dead, floating bugs, watching Clay lick at the water (which I kept telling him to "STOP--that is Yucky!"), I'm wondering what else is in that water that I can't see! It's a kiddie pool, after all.

One of the other reasons that I HATE going to public pools is that I don't like hanging out in a swimsuit in front of the whole world. My flabby white thighs are just not something I like to flaunt in front of everyone. Well there are others out there that don't mind flaunting EVERYTHING they have. There was one lady today who came in a flimsy cotton tank top and shorts (that were NOT meant for swimming in). Well, as soon as she got wet, everything sagged, and so when she bent over, you had a full view from neck to belly button--just a LOT more than I needed to see, thank you! And then of course, there are the teenagers that are wearing the least amount possible, and flaunting as much as possible.

Ahhh...the joys of public swimming pools! Ewww! But the kids had fun, so it was worth it. :)

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh yuck. So far this summer I've held out strong against the public pool, but the kids are wearing me down! Reading this made the germ-a-phobe in me recommit to my mean mama ways. :)

Sarah said...

Somehow my kids talk me into going every day.....every day. Even despite the fact I have witnessed the lifeguards throw a human turd over the fence. What is wrong with me?