Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pushy sales people...one of my pet peeves!

I have this HUGE problem with pushy sales people. They irritate me so much that I get this urge to get really rude with them! When my phone rings, and I answer it, and seconds later hear a little "click", and then a person's voice that is just a bit too peppy, asking if this is Ms. Chickletts, or Ms. Chezkits, or whatever else they come up with (is Checketts REALLY that hard to say?!), I immediately get angry. I usually just end up hanging up on them. But when it's a company like AT&T or something, or the local cable company, trying to offer us a better package or whatever, I try to be polite and give them a minute to speak BEFORE I hang up on them. What really ticks me off is when they keep pushing after I've already told them NO! Their lines, like "this is a great deal that you can't pass up, because it ends today,", or "Why wouldn't you want to sign up if it can save you money?" Well, for one...IT'S NOT GOING TO SAVE ME MONEY!!! It will COST me MORE money, because I have the BASIC package, and THAT would be upgrading to a MORE expensive package!! And the Dish Network and Direct TV people can't belive that we only get basic local chanels--and we DON'T WANT anything more!! And I've about had it with the "Extended Auto Warranty" call that we keep getting, and have been getting for the past 2 years, saying that this is our LAST chance to get the extended warranty (on the van that we sold 2 years ago!!!) I've talked to a couple different real live people, as well as pushed the button on their automated system to not receive any more notices...and they STILL keep calling! They've even managed to call my cell phone, which I'm not sure how they got THAT number, because it's a prepaid cell phone, with a private number that I haven't given to anyone except Neil, the schools, and a couple friends. It really ticks me off! Just leave me alone already!!!

And we've had credit card companies call us to try to get us to apply for one of their cards, because we are one of the "select" people with such great credit, that they want to offer us an INCREDIBLE deal, with a low introductory interest rate, and a very high limit (hmmm...I wonder what that introductory interest rate goes to after the time is up?!) When I tell them we only have 1 credit card, and that's all we want, they can't understand why we wouldn't want this INCREDIBLE offer! Hmmm...do you think there is a REASON we have good credit?! Maybe because we don't have a million credit cards and charge them all to the limit!!

Well, today when I went to the video store that we usually go to, the guy behind the counter kept trying to convince me that I NEEDED to buy this new plan that they have, because it saves you SO much on new releases and video game rentals. I said they asked me the last time and I still don't want it. He had this dumb shocked look on his face and said, "But do you REALIZE how much you could have SAVED today?!" I said "Yes, but I STILL don't want it, thanks." He said it was sad to see me paying so much when I could have saved. So...I'll just save next time by going to Redbox from now on, thank you. At least the box won't try to convince me that I should buy something I don't want!

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

That is so funny, I really am bothered by all of those same things although I probably give in on more than I should. I need to be a little more tough like you!