Friday, July 11, 2008

EARLY MORNING WAKE-UP CALL!

About a year ago, I bought Jonah his own battery-operated, light-up alarm clock, to keep in his bed, so he'd know that he can't get up before 6:00 a.m. (because he'd keep coming into our room, asking us if it was time to get up YET, every 10 minutes from 5:15 until 6:00). Anyway, a couple times he accidentally turned the alarm on, so that it went off in the middle of the night. I'd have to run into his room, climb up on the top bunk (he and Clay share a room), and try to find his alarm clock, burried under his pillow or the covers somewhere, and turn it off (which was usually around the time that he'd wake up). Well I figured that I'd just set the alarm to later in the day, so if it did go off, at least it wouldn't wake anyone up. That worked for a while.

Well, anyway, this morning around 4:45 a.m., I hear an alarm going off, so I run into Jonah & Clay's room and start heading for Jonah's bunk, when I realize that it's not comming from his bed. I can't turn on the light, or it will wake up the boys, so I'm fumbling around trying to decide where it's comming from. I realize that it's comming from the toybox. Well, Jonah spent time cleaning his room yesterday, piling every toy that he owns in his toybox, without causing an avalanche (and apparently his alarm clock was somewhere in the middle). So I start pulling toys off the top of the pile, trying to be quiet, and I'm getting more and more ticked off about this STUPID alarm clock that is getting louder and faster. By then Jonah and Clay are both awake, so I forget about trying to be quiet and am just working on finding the dumb alarm. Jonah is explaining that he was just trying to set the clock yesterday, and he didn't know how it got in the toybox, and that the alarm must have gotten turned on by itsself! So I finally found the alarm clock, near the bottom of the pile, tuck the boys back in and tell them to go back to sleep, and then head back to my own bed. Of course I can't go back to sleep, because I'm thinking of all the things I need to get done before leaving for our trip later this afternoon, so I lay there until 5:30, when Neil's alarm goes off, so he can go exercise (at least his clock wasn't hidden somewhere!)

5 comments:

Julie Olson said...

I'm so sorry, but I laughed out loud when I read this...picturing it in my mind. Sounds like you need just a digital clock with NO alarm there for him attached to the wall instead of tote-able.

6Whittiers said...

Yeah I am thinking a really large alarm clock that has a plug might work better for you. I hate when I can't go back to sleep because I am thinking about everything! Have fun on your trip!!

Sara M said...

Enjoy your trip. Sleep is a slippery temptress anyway. Always slipping away when we need it the most.

Darrell and Alissa said...

That is so funny- but frustrating for you! Jonah is so cute!

Nicole said...

It's easy to laugh imagining the situation, but I"m sure you weren't laughing at the time -- at least I wouldn't have been! :)