Since Mother’s Day was just last Sunday, I’ve been thinking about how grateful I am to be a mom and for the blessing of these sweet little kids in my life. Some of the reasons I love being a mom are…
I love all the hugs and kisses. I love the homemade bracelets, bookmarks, pictures, paintings, and handprints. I love seeing their faces light up at their school or church performances, when they see me watching them from the audience. I love their excitement about life and discovering new things. I love that when they are scared or sick or hurt, that just a hug or kiss can make it all better. I love their simple faith. I love their honesty (except when they tell me that I have “grandma legs” that are white and bumpy--yes one of them actually told me that once). I love that they are so willing to forgive my shortcomings and imperfections so quickly, especially after I lose my temper and get angry, and then apologize afterwards. I love the comfort that they get from just being close to me, from either hugs, or playing with my hair, or the mole on my neck (yes, Clay is obsessed with the mole). I love that it makes their day when I eat lunch with them at school, and that they aren’t embarrassed to give me a hug in public (even PJ). I love when I lay with them at bedtime, to talk about their day and read to them, and when I ask them what the best part of their day was, and they say “right now, when you are here with me.” I love the funny things that my kids say and do, and how they make me laugh. I love the endless knock-knock jokes that they keep telling over and over again. I love the smell of our kids after their baths and showers. I love watching our kids as they sleep. I love when our kids are small and snuggle up close, with their breath on my neck. I love napping with our kids when they are little. I love it when our kids laugh so hard that they have tears running down their face. There are so many things that I love about being a mom. It’s the greatest blessing ever!
And while I'm at it...I can't help but express my gratitude for my wonderful husband, Neil, and all the things I love about him too. I love his eyes and smile when he looks at me. I love his laugh. I love him for his honesty and integrity. I love him for his selfless service, always being willing to help with the kids, the laundry, cooking, cleaning, and anything else that needs to get done. I love him for listening to my country music, even when he doesn't like it much. I love him for his patience (especially when I backed into his car--twice). I love him for taking time to play with the kids, read to them, teach them, and laugh with them, and for being such a great dad. I love to watch him, holding our babies, asleep on the couch. I love him for honoring his priesthood and being such a good example to me and our kids. I love when he calls me from work, just to see how my day is going. I love when he tells me that I'm a good wife and mom (even when I feel that I fall short sometimes). I love him for always being so happy to see me when he gets home from work each day. I love him for complimenting my strengths and offsetting my weaknesses (we are great together). I love when he holds my hand as we are driving in the car. I love spending time together, just talking. I love when he watches sappy "chick flicks" with me, just because he knows I like them. I love when we go swimming as a family and out to dinner together. I love him for always taking the time to listen to me when I need to talk, and giving advice when I need it. I love him for thinking up silly ways to get the kids laughing when they are upset. I love him for dropping everything at work to come home to me when my grandma died, and then taking off a week of work to go back to Utah with me for the funeral. I love him for working so hard to provide well for our family, while still keeping family as his top priority, and always making time for me and our kids. I love him for always being there for me whenever I need him the most. I love him for taking me shopping for new clothes (because I hate to shop and don't buy things for myself very often). I love him for always trying to spoil me, even when I tell him I don't need it. I love that he buys me healthy, low-fat treats (because I try to eat healthy), and then just smiles when I eat half of his bag of chocolates. I love his sense of humor (even as weird as it is sometimes). I love him for loving me completely with all my imperfections and shortcomings, and never criticizing me. I love everything about him (although his eyebrows are questionable--ha ha). He makes my life so much more complete. He is my best friend and the greatest blessing in my life, and I thank Heavenly Father every day that he knew exactly what I needed and blessed me with Neil!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
Very nicely said.
Post a Comment