Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Poor Tessa! :(

Poor Tessa had to have 3 teeth pulled yesterday. :( She had two adult teeth growing in beside the baby teeth, and then one they saw from the x-ray at her regular checkup last week that was kind of growing at an angle, but hadn't pushed through the gums yet, so hopefully pulling all of those, help her teeth come in fine & she won't need braces. So far they look pretty straight, but that one from the x-ray might not come in straight. We'll see...

Anyway, the procedure was very quick & I was amazed at how fast they just pulled them right out. We were only there about 30 minutes (and most of that time was just waiting for her mouth to get numb). The time it took for the dentist to actually pull the teeth was about 1 minute. First, they gave her some of the "laughing gas" then numbed her mouth with the topical stuff and then some shots, then pulled her teeth out. She said the laughing gas made her feel kind of like she was floating, but she wasn't all giggly & goofy like I expected. And by the time we left, she seemed fine.

Well, on the drive home (only about 20 minutes away), she said she was starting to feel dizzy & sick to her stomach. So I grabbed a little throw-up bag (that I always keep handy in the glove box of the van, just in case), and gave it to her. She wasn't looking too good--really pale & sick. Well, a minute later I asked if she was okay & she didn't answer, and when I turned to look at her, she was slumped over. She was in the front seat, so I kept talking to her & trying to get her to wake up. I was able to pull off quickly into a parking lot & was trying not to freak out too much, but I was getting scared. I wasn't sure if she was having some kind of reaction to the laughing gas, or something else going on. I was just about ready to call 911, when she finally woke back up again (it had only been a minute or two, but long enough to scare me!) When she woke back up again, I drove her back home & called the dentist to see if that is a common reaction. He said no, it wasn't. He said that if her blood sugar was low, maybe a combination of that, and lying down for a while and everything else, that she maybe got dizzy & nauseated, but to give her a drink of juice & watch her & call our regular doctor if she didn't start feeling better. I'm wondering if she just didn't have enough oxygen after the laughing gas, and passed out from that (she's passed out before when her oxygen level has been low from pneumonia). Thank goodness after a little while she was fine. I think she just doesn't do well under stress, worry, & not feeling good, and after all that, with the after-effects of the nitrous oxide, it was just was a bit much. Today, she's all back to normal, thank goodness! :)

3 comments:

Phillip and Lisa Hill said...

How scary. I would have been freaking out. She is so pretty!

Stacey said...

Thanks Lisa! :)

Nicole said...

Tessa looks beautiful in this picture! Hope she is doing better.