Thursday, February 4, 2010

Walmart layoffs...AGAIN! :(

Well, just like last year, at the exact same time...last week Walmart cut many jobs from both the Walmart Home Office & Sam's Club, as well as relocating other people to various locations throughout the U.S.

We are fine...but there were MORE layoffs at Walmart yesterday (in addition to the ones they cut last week & the week before--from Sams Club & Walmart). It really stinks! A few of my good friends husbands were laid off. It is horrible! One was the 2nd counselor in R.S. that I work with. They haven't even been here 2 years. The other family moved here from Chicago, about a year after we did (so they've been here about 3-1/2 years). Their daughter is one of Tessa's best friends that she met at school & their son has been good friends with PJ too. Another family in our ward was told last week that they were restructuring and they have to move to Chicago--or they'll lose their job. The cost of living there is a LOT more than here (and they'll stay at the same pay scale), and they are worried about how, or if they will be able to sell their home here, even taking a huge loss, because the housing market has dropped so much in the past few years! It all just makes me kind of sick to my stomach. So many good, hard workers let go...while others, who keep taking advantage of the system, and getting away with MONTHS off from work, with excuses, are still here. I just can't figure out their stupid system. Get rid of the good ones that are hard workers and keep the lazy, useless ones--go figure! :(

So, anyway, things are all a mess here, with people wondering what they are going to do. Nobody is safe. They are cutting positions from all different levels & all different departments. Many people would assume that because Walmart is the biggest company in the world, that it would be secure--not so! And I heard just today that there are another 500 positions that are going to be cut tomorrow. I guess we'll see what happens... It's all very frustrating & worrysome. :(

1 comment:

Jen said...

it IS scary!! So happy to hear you guys are ok... I'm sitting here trying to figure out who was affected from your description, I haven't heard yet! I hope it is all over soon!