Saturday, December 5, 2009

Another Great Weekend!

Well, we are enjoying another great weekend. Last night PJ had a scout campout, and the 3 younger kids had a primary activity where they were making and wrapping gifts for all their family members. They had a lot of fun. Anyway, since all the kids were busy from 6:30-8:00, Neil and I got to enjoy a dinner out together, which is always really nice. Then we went home & got the kids in bed & enjoyed the rest of the evening together.

This morning we had a lot going on. I had to go drop Tessa off for the Downtown Bentonville Christmas Parade. She was going to be on the float for the 4th grade choir for her school. So, I took her there, while Neil took Jonah & Clay with him to go pick up PJ from the church, from his scout campout. Right after I dropped Tessa off at her float, I went to find a place to watch the parade. We got a good spot, and a little while later, Neil came with the boys to find me. We enjoyed watching the parade and seeing a lot of people that we knew. We saw a lot of people from our church (on the float for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, as well as the scout float and other various things). And we saw some people from Clay's preschool (and also from when Jonah was there). By the time it was done, we were all VERY cold, and Tessa said she was really cold the whole time too, but we all had a lot of fun anyway.

After that we ran home & fed the kids some lunch, and Neil got changed & headed to the church for a Stake Preisthood leadership meeting. Then about a half hour later, I drove PJ to the church to meet up with Neil for the Stake General Preisthood meeting (he had to wait about a half hour out in the foyer before he could go in), and I ran Tessa out to her riding lesson. The boys & I watched Tessa from inside the nice, warm car, since the high today has been about 40 degrees---BRRRRR!! But Tessa doesn't mind as long as she can ride a horse! :) Afterwards, we went home and enjoyed some hot chocolate to warm up again. And after Neil & PJ were done with their preisthood meetings, Neil took PJ to Walmart to find some gifts for the other 3 kids from him, since he didn't get to do the gift activity last night (it was only for the primary kids).

Once they get home, we are going to head out to have some pizza together, and then come home & enjoy a video together (snuggled up in some nice, warm blankets!!) Oh, how I LOVE weekends!!

As a side note, I just have to say how very grateful I am for all that we have been blessed with in our lives. Especially at this time of year, when there are so many people in need, with organizations asking for donations of food, hats, coats, gloves, toys, etc. We feel so incredibly blessed and have given a lot to many different places (toys to the preschool toy drive, food to various food drives, gloves to the Jr. High "giving tree", cases of diapers & wipes to the women's shelter, etc.), as well as monetary donations to our church and other organizations...but I still wish we could do so much more. I remember many years of scrimping to provide a small Christmas for Neil & I and our kids (although we have never been in situations like many of the people who will receive all this help). Even at our very poorest time, we at least had a warm home to live in, with beds, food on the table, and clothes to wear. Even if all we could buy for each other and our kids was one gift each, we were happy and felt that we were blessed & were grateful for what we had. It's very humbling, and I hope that we can always remember to help others with all that we are blessed with. That is what Christmas is all about--remembering the greatest gift of all, the gift of our Savior Jesus Christ, and all that He has done for us, and trying to return a little bit of joy & love to others.

4 comments:

Emily Larkin said...

I am so grateful for all the baby stuff you gave me for Max! It saved us atleast over a hundred dollars! You are an amazing soul.

Nicole said...

Sounds like a great weeekend! I think it was busy for everyone with so much going on. Love this time of year! =)

Stacey said...

Thanks Emily! You are so sweet. We were happy to help out in any way we could. :)

Amanda said...

Sounds like a great weekend, minus the cold weather. :) I love hot chocolate and family movie night. So fun!