Every time I go shopping at Wal-Mart, Clay loves looking at the lobsters over in the sea food section. He’s fascinated by their pinchers. Well, yesterday we decided to take the kids out to eat for dinner to use Tessa’s award coupon she got for being on the honor roll at school (it was for a free kids meal at Mimi’s Café). So, just as we get there, as Neil is taking Clay out of his car seat, this is how their conversation went:
Clay: “I DON’T like Red Lobster!
Neil: “We aren’t going to Red Lobster, we’re going to Mimi’s Café. Is that okay?”
Clay: “Yea, but I DON’T like Red Lobster!”
Neil: “Have you ever been to Red Lobster?” (knowing that he hasn’t, because we’ve never taken the kids there, since Neil and I don’t care much for seafood).
Clay: “No, but I don’t like it!”
Neil: “Why don’t you like Red Lobster?”
Clay: “Because they have fish and crabs and lobsters, and the lobsters will pinch my lips!” (as he's pinching his lips with his fingers)
Neil and I couldn’t stop laughing. Kids think of the funniest things!
On a side note, I just have to say that it is SOOOO nice to finally have PJ & Tessa old enough to have them babysit Jonah & Clay for us (just for a couple hours or so) for an afternoon date (we haven’t been brave enough to leave them at night yet). PJ is older and more prepared, but Tessa is such a HUGE help with the little boys and is just so naturally nurturing. They make a great team, and it’s a win-win situation for all of us. They have another way to earn some extra money, and we get a couple hours to ourselves to go out to lunch or just go wander around Lowe’s or a furniture/home décor center (we have been having fun doing this, since we know we’ll be building a house once our current house sells, so we like to see what options we like for carpet, cupboards, flooring, tile, appliances, etc.) So, yesterday after a little time browsing through a couple home design centers for our date, when we got home, the kids told us that they had cleaned for us. They had vacuumed, mopped, cleaned the windows, and straightened the books on the bookshelf, and a few other things. They were so excited to show us all they had done for us, all working together. It was great! What great kids!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
Wow! Those are good kids. Jacob watches ours for us for an hour while we grab a quick bite to eat in town and he does a good job. But I would be flabergasted if they ever CHOSE to clean the house during that time.
I would have to agree with Clay about the lobster- they are so gross! Carly watches them, and is totally grossed out by them, if I move the cart too close she screams. Her face was classic when I told her we could buy one and eat it! Really, it would never happen!
Do you pay your kids to babysit for you? If so, you're nice! We only do that on occasion (when she's been babysitting for us a lot, especially during the holidays!)
We pay them some of the time (when we are gone longer, on an official date, but not if we are just gone for an hour or so, running errands). We've told them that helping out is part of being in a family, so I don't want them to expect it or feel like they are entitled to it. And when they go above and beyond what is expected, I definitely pay them a little to reward their efforts.
Post a Comment