THAT WAS THEN...
Okay, you can stop laughing now...no we weren't 14, although when we went to get our marriage liscence, the lady did ask us if we needed our parents permission (and she was totally serious), because we looked so young---but we were both 23. Neil and I look back at the pictures from when we were dating and first married and always get a good laugh. Holy Cow, we did look so young!
THIS IS NOW...
(the picture was actually taken 2 years ago--but Neil and I look pretty much the same, other than I got contacts, and Neil shaved his goatee)
We've changed just a little, huh? 13 years, and 4 kids later, it's hard to believe how fast time flies!
WOW! I can’t believe that Neil and I have been married 13 years (on June 27th). He’s my best friend and I’m so grateful to have him in my life! When they say that opposites attract, that is definitely true for us. In many ways we couldn’t be more different (especially when we first started dating), but in many ways we are very much alike. We compliment each other so well and are great together. Like I’ve said before, Heavenly Father knew exactly what I needed, and blessed me with Neil.
Well, it all started back in college (at Utah State University). I was living in Logan, Utah, having fun going to college (if you can call taking bowling, ballroom dance, and institute going to college--that was only my last quarter--I did take normal classes sometimes…) And I was having a blast dating a lot. Well, Neil’s older brother lived in the apartment below mine, in the same complex. I had gotten to know his roommates, because we were in the same student ward at church, and had activities together, and hung out a lot, since we were all living there close. Well, Neil’s brother left to get married, so Neil took his contract. So, I’d go down to his apartment to flirt with all his roommates, but didn’t pay much attention to him. He was the long-haired hippie that always had on a tie-dye Grateful Dead
t-shirt---not my type (or so I thought). Apparently we also had an institute class together, but I didn’t notice him there either (but he noticed me…always sitting in the 2nd row, with my Diet Coke… yeah I know, what a rebel, right? :).
Well, as time went on, I got to know him better, and really enjoyed talking to him. He was one of the most sincere, honest, caring people, and I felt so comfortable around him. We became good friends, and then one day in the winter, a bunch of us from the apartment complex decided to go sledding down “Old Main Hill” at USU. We went down a bunch of times on inner tubes, and as we were getting ready to call it quits, everyone else decided to go down once more, but Neil and I stayed at the bottom to talk. Well, it was then that I had the thought that maybe this was something more--or maybe it was the crazy tie-dye pattern making me dizzy--but I was really starting to fall for this cute “Dead Head”. I finally had to ask him about the weird shirts with skulls and flowers and tie-dye on them. He explained who the “Grateful Dead” was, because I had never even heard of them, me being a preppy girl that loved pop and country music. But the music has actually grown on me over the years (we even tie-dyed some little onesies when I was pregnant with PJ, so he could match daddy).
Well, we started dating January 1, 1995 (our first official date was on New Year’s Eve). We started talking marriage, and got engaged in March, after mid-terms. We had gone shopping for rings together, because he wanted to be sure and get one that I’d like. Well, after we picked out the ring, I kind of freaked out a little bit and started to get scared because of all the bad relationships and marriages I’d seen, so I called it off (but only for 2 days, before I came to my senses and realized what a huge mistake I’d make if I let him get away). So then I told him that I was ready anytime he was (so he likes to think that I asked HIM to marry ME. But that is just SO NOT TRUE!) Neil even cut his hair for me, because he knew I preferred short hair. His family was happy about that too! And he even took a ballroom dance class with me, when we were engaged (but made fun of the teachers the whole time…for good reason…they were 2 middle-aged women, who said they were sisters…but we still wonder…) But he refused to ever go country dancing--that is where he draws the line! Then we were married on June 27, 1995 in the Logan Temple. It was a beautiful day, and we were so glad that all of our families could be there. Thanks Neil, for 13 wonderful years! You are the best, and I look forward to many, many more years to come!










4 comments:
I never realized how much PJ looks like Neil! And yes, I have stopped laughing at how young you guys look!
This was a fun trip down memory lane. I remember when you two started dating. Was it really 13 years? Crazy. Congratualtions - glad you two found each other.
You guys did look pretty young, but then again, so did we. :) It was fun to see the pictures. Happy anniversary!
Congratulations!! It goes fast doesn't it. Really you look like babies. You are now teenagers..13 years!
Post a Comment